Sunday, August 16, 2009

Taking on the Hustles and Bustles of Moving to LA

Since I graduated from SDSU a few months ago, I have been lucky enough to travel through Europe and start my new career path as a journalism & fashion intern in Los Angeles.  It has been quite interesting thus far, and despite some unexpected turns, has been great experience.  Having almost two months of this job under my belt, I have made the decision to move to LA - well, I wouldn't quite say decision at this point, since half my stuff is already in my new West Hollywood apartment.  It still seems so surreal.  I never thought that I would ever live in Los Angeles.  I figured if I were to stay in California, I would continue to live in San Diego and not tackle the devil 405 fwy on a daily basis.  Despite the hellish Los Angeles traffic and congestion though, the opportunities that this city holds practically gives me butterflies.  I have no idea what I will be doing in six months time, but I am hoping that this move will push me in right direction in terms of a fashion career.  It's amazing how life can take unexpected, but good, turns on you.  

Moving is always exciting in terms of getting a fresh start.  I will admit the packing and unpacking sucks (note: "sucks" is a major understatement), but, for me at least, the imagining and decorating of a new place makes it all worth while.  I'm trying to decide what the main decor theme for my new home will be.  I'm thinking shabby chic vintage with an edgy, almost urban outfitters-ish, feel.  Mixing and matching the old with the new can make your home very unique and personable, while still having that trendy feel.  Sometimes though, getting this "old but new" vintage style can be rather expensive.  As a recent college graduate, this realization is a huge bummer since I am living on limited funds.  Therefore, I am finding that Craigslist is my new best friend - you can seriously find some of the best stuff for super cheap.  I highly recommend it.  Other places I'm loving - Ikea (as always - never fails for your basic needs), Pier1 (surprisingly), Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters & Target.




1 comment:

  1. Jess I'm finally reading all your posts!! I really like this one! Your writing seems really confident and full of thought and passion. Not to mention I teared up a little at the thought that you are no longer here with me in SD :( Miss you bitch!!

    ReplyDelete